Everywhere I go lately, there seems to be a sign up to “get your flu shot here.”
To that and to all of the doctors pushing antibiotics for even the mildest colds, I say “NO THANK YOU.”
Its not to say that there’s NEVER a time one should take antibiotics, but there is SO MUCH you can do to keep yourself healthy, fight the first signs of sickness, shorten the duration of your sickness, and then recharge your body once its passed.
Also, each of our bodies are unique and respond differently to different remedies, so you will need to pay close attention to which ones work for you. My recommendations below are compiled from my community of holistic healers and my own experience.
The recommendations below are for the various stages of sickness:
Phase 1: Not sick.
This is the place to focus your efforts: STAYING HEALTHY. Here’s how:
1. Ample amounts of micro and phyto-nutrients. That means fresh green juices, lots of lightly cooked and raw veggies each day and other nutrient-dense foods.
2. Keep dietary inflammation down. This means limiting inflammatory foods like grains, sugar, alcohol and processed foods. If you haven’t yet, get my free guide to starting paleo, which is naturally anti-inflammatory.
3. Reduce stress: Stress causes inflammation and squelches your immune system. A regular practice of meditation, getting into nature, healing (or leaving) toxic relationships and environments, sleeping well and consciously releasing fear, worry and anxiety will do wonders.
4. Arm yourself in germ-ridden environments! I take a bottle of Thieves Spray everywhere I go now, especially airplanes and crowded places. Its a combo of essential oils that are really powerful germ fighters. I spray in my mouth, on my hands and then inhale the oils to coat my respiratory track and fight the germs as they try to enter my body.
Phase 2: First signs of sickness/compromised immune system.
I am usually able to keep from full-blown sickness with these tools. It requires that you be in touch with your body and noticing the first signs of sickness. For me, that looks like the first 1-2 hours of feeling a sore/swollen glands in my throat, heaviness and lethargy in body and sometimes burning eyes. It may be different for you, but paying attention and taking massive action at the onset works wonders.
Here’s some specific things I like to do:
1. Eliminate all sugar and alcohol immediately.
2. Drink a large low-sugar green juice loaded with ginger, turmeric and leafy veggies and herbs.
3. Mega-dose yourself with a combination of liquid herbs (thanks Dr. Heidi for this trick). Instead of the regular dosage, my ND told me to mix:
2 Tablespoons: Natural Factors Anti-V Formula (find the liquid)
3 Tablespoons: TwinLab Liquid C, Citrus,16 Ounce
Mix all of these in with a large glass of water and sip over a couple hour period. It is really strong and it works!
(I tried it also with just an uber-dosage of Source Naturals Wellness Formula, 240 (liquid) and that worked AMAZINGLY well for me. )
Resources from across the web:
NOTE: I am not a doctor and this guide is for educational purposes only. My strong recommendation is that you find a great Naturopathic Doctor (ND) in your neighborhood. Also, if you have an autoimmune disease or are pregnant, please see a doctor before taking anything listed above.