Ever wake up on the wrong side of the bed only to stub your toe on the way to the shower that has no hot water then get a phone call with bad news followed by bad milk in your coffee and your neighbor hitting your car? All before 9am? Or maybe something much less dramatic but leaves you wanting to call in sick and go back to bed for the rest of the day? Better luck tomorrow, right? WRONG!!! You have the POWER and CHOICE to create your own happiness at any moment in any situation. Stop what you’re doing and take 15 minutes to do this simple exercise:
1. Sit in a quiet place (go to your car if you need to) and take a deep, slow breath. As you inhale, imagine you are breathing in love and light. Slowly exhale, and imagine you are breathing out dust, soot, anger, and darkness. Repeat 4 more times.
2. Write down 10 things you are thankful for in your life, stopping for a moment after each to really FEEL your gratitude.
3. Write down 10 reasons you’re proud of yourself. It can be as simple as “I remembered to take out the trash without being asked.”
4. Write down the incident(s) that have you down. Ask yourself: “What’s another way I can look at this situation that would give me a feeling of peace and happiness?” When I ask this question, I usually get some form of answer like: “I’m being asked (better yet, GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY) by God to get bigger in this area, to develop myself in a new way that will allow for me to make a bigger contribution to others and build new muscles and ultimately make me a happier person (even if it doesn’t feel that way now).
5. Call someone you love just to tell them you love and appreciate them. Ask if you can contribute to them in anyway. Getting your mind off of yourself and onto others can transform your bad mood in a moment.
Time permitting, taking a quick run, even if its just around the block, can boost your mood by raising endorphines. Eat something full of vitamins, too. Better yet, drink a big green juice 🙂
This practice works for me and I hope you will try it and that it will work for you, too.